Thursday, August 24, 2006

On my way to work today, I picked up my preorder of Final Fantasy III for DS. While I'm usually against remakes, FF3 is great for a few key reasons:

1) It was never released in North America for NES, so it's like a new game for me.

2) They completely remade the graphics with some nice CG, and complete in-game graphical face lift.

3) They rebalanced the jobs so that, god forbid, you don't need a specific job to defeat a particularly difficult boss creature.

4) There's a pretty interesting story this time around. Instead of starting with all the characters, you now start with just one of the characters, and have to collect the other three over time, akin to modern FF's.

Playing FF3 on a handheld is absolutely geared towards me. With all the commuting and time I spend at the office, it's nice to be able to crack open the DS on the train, or play a dungeon in between a few classes, instead of wishing I was at home gazing at my TV.

The battle system itself is fairly old school. Instead of picking party orders as their turn comes around, you issue battle orders to your entire party at the start of the round. This makes planning much harder, as at the beginning of a battle, you have no idea who your healer should cure next.

I also find the battle speed a little slow for my taste, but still fairly bearable. It's definitely fun. There's no question, there. After playing the streamlined and smooth battle system of Persona 3, FF3 is a definite change for me. Hopefully it won't take too much time to adjust. Here are a few photos I took of the box, and the game running on my DS Lite. Sorry about the photo quality, but these were taken with my cell phone during a break at work.




You might notice that the in-game screen has the world map on the top screen. This is only during overworld travel, and town travel. Curiously, while in dungeons, and while in battle, the top screen, is completely blank! Square-Enix decided not to add anything at all to look at on the top screen. Even a sky view during battles would have been nice. With a black screen on the top during battle, it can feel a little claustrophobic. I eventually got over it, but it still nags me.

I'll post with more impressions later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home