Tuesday, September 12, 2006

I've had about 5000 yen worth of points sitting on the membership card for my local game and book store. Up until two days ago, I had little direction as to how I would wisely spend this new found bounty. I was tempted to buy something that was expensive that I wouldn't normally spend money on, as these points could be categorized in the "free money" section, right under jacket change and botched lottery winnings.

Sp0rsk over at GAF had been trying to sell me on Sengoku Basara 2 for months prior to obtaining these points, but with a mountain of games to play, I had quietly ignored him. I had played a little bit of the original Sengoku Basara, and really enjoyed it, but the US localization of that terrible hose beast Devil Kings had soured me on the thought that Capcom knew what it was doing with a Sengoku Musou clone.

When I arrived at the store on sunday afternoon, though, I was surprised to find a copy of Basara 2 (normally at 6400 yen) down to 5700 yen for just a single day. With my digital bounty, the price of the game would become a measly 700 yen. I was willing to risk 700 yen on a game that potentially could suck. After all, the points I had gained were from purchases I would have made regardless of a point system that, refreshingly, isn't designed to fleece me of my earnings.

I decided to make an outing of the whole thing, and traipsed over to my local ramen shop, and ordered the biggest meal they had on the menu, in honor of this momentous buying occasion. As an aside, the biggest meal they have on the menu is a ramen and tuna chauhan combo, that costs a whopping 1050 yen.

After getting my fill, I made my way back home, and popped the game into my slender JP Ps2 (which humorously sits atop my gargantuan hard drive housing US PS2). The first 20 minutes of gameplay left me rather underwhelmed. "Well, it was only 700 yen," I thought, as I played through the first mission as Date Masamune. I finished the level after a little trouble, and turned off the PS2 to read some manga.

I returned 20 min later in hopes of redeeming the game in the eyes of my wallet. I turned the PS2 on once again, and tried another mission. I was pleased to see variation in the move set between characters, and found that I had been playing the game all wrong with Date (I won't go into the details, as it's rather embarassing now that I think about it). After getting a handle of how the game is supposed to be played, I charged right in and began conquering battle after battle with multiple "Extreme" versions of famous sengoku generals. The game had me hooked.

At the present, I'm still only going through story mode. I've finished the story mode for 5 of the original characters, and am working to finish the story mode for the rest of the originals, as well as the newly joined set of unlockables. The game has me by the balls, and i don't find it likely that it will let go until I've beat the shit out of its various modes.

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home