Sunday, October 08, 2006

The one chip wonder




I've been looking to buy an MSX computer for some time now. Back last August, when I had visited Tokyo on vacation, I had the choice of either an MSX, or a Neo Geo AES system, and I bowed to the power of Metal Slug and King of Fighters. The AES was finally mine. One of my life gaming goals had finally been fulfilled. But the quest continues.

It looks like my job has been made even easier, though. The good people at D4 Enterprises will ship the 1chip MSX on October 12th.

The feature list for the new 1chip MSX is pretty outstanding as well:

・MSX2 with 256kB RAM
・Kanji support
・MSX-DOS2 support
・PS/2 connection
・2 MSX joystick ports
・2 MSX cartridge slots
・SD/MMC flashcard slot with native FAT16 support in MSX-DOS2
・Composite and SVHS TV output
・VGA monitor output
・2 cinch audio outputs
・FPGA I/O pin (40 pins and 10 pins)
・2 USB ports
・32MB SDRAM
・Externals size About 135mm×156mm×32mm

< accessories >
・AC adaptor
・Instructional Manual
・Attachment CD-ROM
(Source code and development environment software.)


In addition to its small compact size, I'm happy to see that it includes USB ports, keyboard support, joypad functionality, and even flash memory functionality. It even contains proprietary VGA adaptor support; something most major console manufacturers today seem to have either implemented half heartedly, or completely forgotten about it.

The 20,000 yen price tag might be a bit steep for those looking to dabble in the MSX library casually, though. The sleek design and copious hardware support, though, make it a must have for me, and probably many other obscure gaming computer fans.

The official website states that only 5000 will be made and sold, so it's a good idea that I try to get my hands on one as soon as possible.

The official 1 chip MSX site can be found here.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nayan said...

I hope this goes smoothly. Everyone needs a 1chip MSX.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool, that MSX looks neat. What are you going to get for it? If I had one, I'd grab FF1, DQ1, DQ2, Salamander, and probably Metal Gear 1 and 2.

Who am I?

10:00 PM  
Blogger Nayan said...

Scarlet (duh), I'll probably get a collection close to that.

I'm most interested in Metal Gear and Sangokushi.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home